On March 15,1934 in Baltimore, Maryland the late Honorable Mother Geneva Barnes and the late Honorable Bishop Willam Samuel Barnes, Sr. (the matriarch and patriarch/ founder of St. Paul Apostolic Faith Church) was blessed to have their fourth child Geraldine Barnes.
Geraldine was raised in East Baltimore Jefferson Street and then on Broadway. As a young child she attended and was baptized at the First Apostolic Faith Church under the leadership of the late Honorable Bishop Joseph M. Turpin.
She was educated in the Baltimore City School System and became a graduate of the 1951 class of Dunbar HS. She also studied piano and received a scholarship from the Peabody Conservatory.
In 1954 Geraldine Barnes became the wife of the late George Washington James and from there union they have 4 children.
A true daughter of Zion, Pastor James has come up in the ranks serving in her father's ministry, the late Bishop William S. Barnes, Sr. after who her own ministry is named after. She functioned in almost every facet of ministry serving in various capacities throughout and a necessary. Some roles has included Sunday School teacher, kitchen committee member, president of the senior choir, pastor's aide member, church anniversary committee member, teacher of the purity class, licensed evangelist, and the list goes on.
Pastor James has traveled the United States and across seas preaching and teaching the Gospel with special interests and attraction for the youth and pure love for the body of Christ. Devoting her life to furtherance of the Kingdom, Pastor James has convinced, birthed, and released many sons and daughters into the Vineyard of Christ. The testimonies of strengthened families, healed hearts, souls converted and restored do abound!
Since July 1989 Pastor James has severed as the founding pastor of the William Samuel Barnes, Memorial Apostolic Faith Church, located in the Coldstream-Montebello area of Baltimore, Md.
October 1990 through great vision and faith God and Divine favor, Pastor James was able to acquire a lovely and homestead of place to worship. The edifice that she purchased seated 500 in capacity to worship, within the building was miraculous space (3000 Hillen Road) Her ministry grew on the outside of the wall of the church by feeding the hungry, clothed the naked, sheltering the displaced congregations throughout the the years. She also served as an Overseer of the Mid Atlantic Diocese for the True Churches of Our Lord Jesus Christ under the leadership of Bishop William Thomas, years later she held the same position in the Victorious Apostolic Churches under the leadership of Bishop Raymond Berger.
Pastor James was known her for the wisdom of her counsel, as well as her loyalty in friendship, and dependability in need. Loved by many who know or come meet her acquaintances. Pastor James's humility and integrity of spirit makes a celebrated jewel in Kingdom community. She was definitely "one of a kind" setting a precedent for all woman in Ministry. Pastor Geraldine is missed and love by thousands.
Return to Who's Who